Last weekend marked our one year anniversary of moving to Marlborough.
On 2nd July 2015, two very bemused Doodles joined us on their first ( and likely last) flight. They shivered their way across islands and sulked only momentarily as they were released from their crates into their new South Island life.
Our first stop from the airport was to the local pet store to get the essentials – happy dogs, happy life….
I still remember the drive along Middle Renwick Road on a brilliant Marlborough day – pristine piercing blue sky and clean , lung bursting pure air. It was home. It was always meant to be home.
So Marlborough in salute of you and for the best of years, here are my 51 favourite things… ( part one).
- The air – as mentioned – it’s perfect. So much so that we are selling it in cans to Asia. I kid you not.
- The wine. Oh the wine. I have learned more than I ever thought possible and it’s barely a drop in the barrel I am now the proud owner of !
- The mornings. Walking with the Doodles on a crisp morning with air that almost hurts to breathe in deeply, is magical.
- The wood burner. Only meaningful when it’s really cold – and we’ve had a few of those days!
- Burleigh pies. Just yum!
- The Wither Hills and The Richmond Ranges – now I know who you are , you stun me almost every day with your respective golden and moody beauty.
- Omega plums. I have never tasted anything like it. Picking a warm sun kissed plum on an evening walk in summer was perfect.
- Walnuts. The most wonderful and satisfying harvest of the year. All tucked away in the freezer to keep us going until next time.
- Traffic. Or lack of it. Still makes me smile everyday.
- Parking meters in Blenheim that can still take 10 cents ( 3 minutes ) – perfect!
to be continued…… 🙂